Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

One With God


“I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.”
            -  Jesus, John 14:20



Earlier this week I listened to an interview with the Irish poet, priest and philosopher John O’Donohue and was again inspired to consider and experience the presence of God in all of creation - including humanity.

So it is in this Spirit of Incarnation that I share two poems, the first an ancient Irish poem (read as part of the previously mentioned interview), the other from the Psalms.

As you read and contemplate these ancient words, do as Jesus reveals – claim them as your own, knowing the One Eternal Presence of God within you.


"Song of Amergin."

I am the wind on the sea;


I am the ocean wave;

I am the sound of the billows;

I am the seven-horned stag;

I am the hawk on the cliff;

I am the dewdrop in sunlight;

I am the fairest of flowers;

I am the raging boar;

I am the salmon in the deep pool;

I am the lake on the plain;

I am the meaning of the poem;

I am the point of the spear;

I am the god that makes fire in the head;

Who levels the mountain?

Who speaks the age of the moon?

Who has been where the sun sleeps?

Who, if not I?


Psalm 19

The heavens are telling the glory of God;
and the firmament proclaims God’s handiwork.
Day to day pours forth speech,
and night to night declares knowledge.
There is no speech, nor are there words; their voice is not heard;
yet their voice goes out through all the earth,
and their words to the end of the world.
In the heavens God has set a tent for the sun,
which comes out like a bridegroom from his wedding canopy,
and like a strong man runs its course with joy.
Its rising is from the end of the heavens, and its circuit to the end of them;
and nothing is hid from its heat.

“I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.”


What happens when we consider ourselves as interconnected and interdependent with all of Creation?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment