Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Quiet

Be still and know that I am God.   The Psalmist


Earth is a solar-powered jukebox.  Gordon Hempton


Let anyone with ears to hear listen.   Jesus


As I sit writing this blog in early morning quiet I begin to hear sounds of which I am usually unaware:  the sounds of my fingers pressing the keys on my computer, I hear a hair dryer in another part of the house, an airplane takes off in the distance, doves that regularly visit our backyard are cooing, various birdsongs come and go, a car passes by, my arm brushes the arm of a sofa as I reach for a cup of coffee.  I hear the coffee go down my throat, the hair dryer stops, the computer hums, the dog sighs, my own breath goes in and out... What's that - a train's horn?  All of this from the same place in my living room.


It's only when we are quiet that we can hear what's around us - and within us.  It is in such quiet that we begin to discern what is noise and what is music in our lives.  And, who knows, we may even hear the "voice" of God?


Now there was a great wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of sheer silence. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. Then there came a voice to him that said...      
                                                                                  1 Kings 19:11-13


Find a quiet place today and discover how noisy and music filled your life really is.  I invite you to share with me and others in the comment section of the blog what you hear. 


Also, when you can spare and hour,  I suggest you listen to this "On Being" program.


Last Sunday's sermon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment