Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Aligning the Planets

whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing [these things] and the God of peace will be with you.
Paul's Letter to the Philippians, 4:8

be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Paul's Letter to the Romans, 12:2

‘The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light; but if your eye is unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!
Jesus in Matthew, 6:22-23

Recently a friend asked the rhetorical question, "Is anything going right in the world these days?", then added, "The planets must be out of alignment or something."   I must admit that I quickly agreed.

But then I am reminded by words from my own faith tradition's scriptures that my thoughts, my perceptions, and my responses to what goes on around me determine whether the "planets are aligned" or not.

So, no matter how dark or drear the world may look to you today, find one good about it and think on it, then find another, and another until a smile comes to your face.

The line from the old song really is true;
"When you're smiling, the whole world smiles with you."




No comments:

Post a Comment