Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

So long! or Wait!

For those of us in the earth's northern hemisphere, today is the last day of winter!   And in honor of the day I pay tribute through bits and pieces of musical theater.

Click here now.

And to quote another musical,  "The sun'll come up tomorrow."

Yes, I'm sure most of us are ready for tomorrow's vernal equinox at 12:57 p.m. EDT.  I even have it cued into my phone calendar as "Spring!!!" with an alarm set to let me know exactly when it happens.

I can't wait for sunny days and warm evenings at the ballpark, walks and bike rides without three layers of clothing, hikes in the mountains, and strolls on the beach.

But wait I must.  As ready as you and I are for winter to be over, there is still "one day more" of winter. And today, not yesterday or tomorrow, is really all we have.  

As the Music Man, Harold Hill says to Marian the Librarian, "You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." 

And the final quote is mine:  "You miss a lot of good music when you fast forward from the Overture and the Finale."

So, I hope you have a great last day of winter!  We may even be remembering it fondly come late August.


1 comment:

  1. I like these short blogs and this one in particular, as I have been thinking recently about the importance of (at the risk of slipping into cliche) "staying in the present". I have found one trick to stop my mind from wandering during conferences -- I tweet things that strike me as meaningful or illuminating within moment of them being said to my followers. That helps include those who cannot attend and it keeps me focused on the matter at hand. And conference organizers like it. I have been thinking of doing so in church but for now am simply taking notes and tweeting one memorable line later that day.

    ReplyDelete