Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

"Uncle!"

Have you ever had a day when it seems like your whole world is screaming "Say, 'Uncle!?'"  I'm having one today, which is why those of you who subscribe to this blog by email are getting it on Wednesday afternoon rather than the usual Wednesday morning. 

Let me begin from three weeks ago on Palm Sunday when I said in my sermon that what we commonly refer to as Jesus' "Triumphal Entry" into Jerusalem was a actually a "Surrender."  I went on to talk about how we as Christians are called to surrender our fears, especially our fear of death and our need to control our lives.

Fast forward to today.  I awoke this morning full of anxiety, I'm embarrassed to say, over the weather and a baseball game.  Well, not just any old game, but the home opener tomorrow for the Washington Nationals which Peg and I have looked forward to for weeks.  In comes the weather - 100% chance of cold and rain for most of the day in DC!

So I began my early morning routine which these days starts with a guided meditation followed by at least three regular written daily meditations and affirmations that come by email subscription.  Then I take a long walk and listen to a podcast.  This morning every one of these sources had a common message - "Surrender!" Give up the need to control circumstances that are beyond control and make good choices to change my thoughts and perspective.  In other words, all of my "inspiration" for today basically said to me, "PRACTISE WHAT YOU PREACH!"

So, tonight I'll pack layers and rain gear and look forward to a great couple of days in DC and Baltimore with family and friends - and maybe even a baseball game.

"UNCLE!"




1 comment:

  1. Andy!! I love following your new adventures in Florida through your posts. Have fun in DC, I got to go back last weekend :)

    ReplyDelete